Saatva is a modern mattress company that is taking a bit of a different approach. They have created an ultra-premium mattress that includes individually wrapped coils, memory foam, and a sleek pillow top for a rare and superb comfort experience. Surprisingly, this high-end, well-designed mattress comes at a reasonable price point.
This American company proudly states that their mattresses are made in the USA. They have 19 factories and 145 fulfillment centers responsible for delivering mattresses – so when someone orders a mattress, it travels less than 100 miles on average. This reduces the carbon footprint the company produces, according to Saatva. It comes with a 180 night trial period and 15 year warranty.
The Saatva Mattress is available in three different softness levels: Plush Soft, Luxury Firm, or Firm. The Plush Soft comfort level is ideal for those who sleep on their side and want to feel “hugged” or enveloped by their bed. The Luxury Firm mattress is the “Goldilocks” option – not too hard, not too soft, just right. It’s perfect for couples who have different sleep preferences or sleepers who change positions often in the night. The Firm option has a denser foam layer over the coils and it gives the feeling of floating on top of the mattress rather than sinking into it.
MATERIALS AND CONSTRUCTION
This mattress is designed a little bit differently than the factory mattresses that are constructed from 100% foam. Instead, Saatva uses a method called “coil on coil” where the mattress is built from two layers of steel coils encased in foam with a pillow top.
So, here are the layers of material you can expect within the Saatva Mattress:
- Top Layer: The top layer of this mattress consists of an organic cotton cover, which makes it soft and breathable. Also, it includes a European style pillow top for added softness.
- 1 Inch Memory Foam: The layer of memory foam lumbar support that sits on top of the edge support layer helps to provide additional support.
- 884 Individual Contour Coils Wrapped in Foam: This layer of foam wrapped coils is designed to minimize motion transfer and contour to your body for a more comfortable sleep.
- 416 Individual High Profile Steel Coils: These traditional hourglass-shaped coils act as a foundational layer, providing you with excellent support and shape for the entire mattress.
- Edge Support Foam: This layer of foam wraps around all of the coil layers, protecting them while also adding more of a luxurious feel to the mattress. It is designed to provide you with support when you are sitting on the edge of the mattress. At the head and foot of the mattress, the foam is two inches thick and at the sides, the foam is 5 inches thick.
Some users of these mattresses have reported that motion isolation isn’t great and that they can feel their partners moving around at night. Also, the Saatva has above average height and thickness. While this can give the bedroom a more luxurious look, some sleepers say that the raised height makes it more difficult to get in and out of bed.
Also, be warned that a queen-sized Saatva weighs more than 100 pounds. It is not easy to lift, handle, or move so you will need help when moving the mattress into your home and onto your bed.
When you take a closer look at the cover of this mattress, you can clearly see that it is very well made. It is constructed from 100% organic cotton, which makes it breathable and soft. The European Pillow Top adds a lot of softness and comfort and the tight quilting pattern of the cover offers more lumbar support.
One of the most interesting aspects of this mattress is the coil on coil system, which is very different from other mattresses on the market. A dual support system will not only be more comfortable for sleeping on, but it is also more durable – as the weight of the body is distributed over two series of coils. This will offer you a higher quality of sleep for a longer period of time. Also, this style of coil on coil bed tends to have anywhere between 50-100% more coil units than a traditional standard premium bed.
The Saatva Mattress also has a special feature known as the Euro Pillow Top. It consists of extra layers of material added to the top of the mattress – like a standard pillowtop. Rather than being stitched to the top of the mattress, in the Euro Pillow Top design, these materials are added under the outer cover in order to create a neater, cleaner look. This design also means that the Euro Pillowtop will retain its shape longer than a standard pillow top.